Saturday, April 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Benny!




On Sunday, Benny had a birthday party at Grandma and Grandpa Kresl's house. For his birthday, he had requested that I make spaghetti and meatballs. And he also wanted a Thomas cake. I was more than happy to oblige, especially since it was only a few short weeks ago that we finally talked Benny out of having a pink and purple Cinderella cake.




A couple days before the party I was looking around on-line and saw a tutorial for making a 3-D Thomas the Tank Engine cake. After scanning the pictures and directions, I figured that I could tackle it. Well, after a combined 8 hours of baking, mixing, constructing, and decorating, Thomas was finally finished at 2:30 am on Sunday. He's glorious.
The next morning, I couldn't wait to bring Benny out the garage and show him his cake. I opened the refrigerator and he said, "Wow! Cool Mommy! Thank you!" He studied the cake again for a second and said, "Um, where's his track? And where's his boiler? And his whistle?" Outstanding.

Benny had a great time at his party with his cousins. His cousin Gracie came down with the stomach flu the day before the party, so Benny was a little disappointed that she couldn't join the fun. For the week leading up to his birthday, he kept talking about how he'll be 4 and then he'll be almost 5 just like his cousin Gracie's 5. I think that Benny thought Gracie's absence somehow diminished his four-ness.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that cake is AMAZING!! ...too bad you didnt get the chance to build a cinderella one though

Kelli said...

Awesome cake!! When I saw it, I thought you were going to say that you ordered it from a bakery or something. You should go in the cake biz!

Anonymous said...

I hope we get a Percy cake for Sammy's birthday. If you don't know, Percy is one of Thomas' friends. He's little, just like Sammy.

The Mrs. said...

Awesome cake! It looks like a good time was had by all.

Anonymous said...

Noah's response to the cake, "Oh WOW, Dad!"

J said...

Gracie missed Benny too.

I also want to add that my nephew is so smart. He didn't at first recognize me (or remember my name). I told him I was not giving him presents until he remembered my name. So he said "Aunt Juli will you push me on the swing." I did and said you earned 1 present back. He said my name again in another request and then said he earned his "second" present back. He preceeded to use third, fourth, fifth, ect until he got to eighth! I was impressed with my smart little nephew (he only got 3 presents from me though.)

And by the way, the cake TASTED as good as it looks...Awsome.

The Goo said...

That is a work of art. Also, it makes you the best mom ever.